Brandon Vera knocks out Paul Cheng in 26 seconds to become ONE Heavyweight Champion
PASAY CITY, Philippines - It was over too soon: Brandon Vera planted a solid kick to the head of Paul Cheng in only 26 seconds of round one, becoming ONE Championship's first ever heavyweight champion in ONE 35: SPIRIT OF CHAMPIONS held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Philippines on Friday evening.
In the flyweight division, fellow Filipino Eugene Toquero managed to dominate Li Wei Bin of China, winning via corner stoppage of round 2.
It was not a straight victory for the Philippines, however, as Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton lost to Irina Maezpa from Russia via unanimous decision.
Reece McLaren, who replaced fellow Australian Jordan Lucas on two weeks notice, was able to pull a rear naked choke on Mark Striegl of the Philippines, winning by submission at 3:33 of Round 3.
ONE 35: SPIRIT OF CHAMPIONS OFFICIAL RESULTS
- Heavyweight World Championship: Brandon Vera (Philippines) defeats Paul Cheng (China) via KO at 00:26 of Round 1
- Bantamweight: Reece McLaren (Australia) defeats Mark Striegl (Philippines) via submission at 3:33 0f Round 3
- Flyweight: Eugene Toquero (Philippines) defeats Li Wei Bin (China) via stoppage at the end of Round 2
- Flyweight: Irina Mazepa (Russia) defeats Ana Julaton (Philippines) via unanimous decision
- Strawweight: Angela Lee (Singapore) defeats Lena Tkhorevska (Poland) via submission at 3:26 of Round 2