In the midst of superhero films dominating theater houses, a “sexy” romantic comedy comes along and aims to make us laugh and be entertained.
And entertaining us are four of the best Hollywood actresses in their very own esteemed rights. Diane Keaton, Mary Steenburgen, Candice Bergen and Jane Fonda have teamed up together as four of the greatest friends more than half of their lifetimes and what binds them through the years is their love for BOOKS. Despite their successful careers these loyal ladies in their golden years have never missed a single session sharing and reading a particular book of their interest.
But the very book that will change their lives forever is when hotel owner Vivian played by Jane Fonda suggests to her amigas federal judge Sharon (Bergen) restaurant owner Carol (Steenburgen) and recently widowed Diane (Keaton) to try reading the very erotic Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James which becomes a "wake up" call and what they could be personally be missing?
What follows is a melodramatic yet funny roller coaster ride thru crazy LIFE and what it has to offer in their golden years that will also involve guys like ace pilot Mitchell played by Andy Garcia and businessman Arthur in Don Johnson and tax attorney George by Richard Dreyfuss.
Here are perhaps FIVE best reasons to come and watch this year's cool romantic comedy BOOK CLUB:
1) The combination of the degrees of acting prowess of seasoned yet exciting actresses in Candice Bergen, Mary Steenburgen, Diane Keaton and the most senior of them all and still very sexy Jane Fonda. All four have almost flawless comedic punchlines and have loved their roles to the hilt and back. In real life, these actresses are good friends.
2) The very loyal display of friendship through the years of four female friends that have withstood the test of times despite three of them unattached to men. The character of Carol remains the only one married that have "intimate concerns".
3) Am I seeing Don Johnson and Andy Garcia quite aged in this film? I always enjoy watching these two character actors along side the impeccable Richard Dreyfuss. They play it well and very easy in this light comedy piece. They complete the "spice" among the lovely roses.
4) In this day and age of technology and gadgets surrounding us, the love of reading a tangible BOOK is still one of the best hobbies to do despite having e-books or electronic books on our cellphones and laptops and computers. Nothing beats reading a book of your preference from page to page by these creative and brilliant authors young and mature.
5) Life in its golden years particularly to the very interesting characters of our grand FOUR madams in this film is a given premise. But how they execute and deliver it another wonder to witness and behold knowing the super capabilites of Misses Diane, Mary, Candice and Jane. That age is just a number and it should not let a lady slow her down is TOPS!
Kudos to first time director Bob Holderman which he also co-wrote with Erin Simms.
Book Club's local film distributor Reality Entertainment recently held its VIP, celebrity and media advanced screening graced by volleyball athlete John Vic de Guzman and ONE Championship heavyweight champion Brandon Vera and his lovely fiancee Jessica, theater/actress Issa Litton, director Erik Matti among several others at Megamall.
Regal Films matriarch Mother Lily Monterverde, Ms. Rochelle Monteverde-Teo and Dondon Monteverde were personally on hand to look over their valuable guests and friends in the industry.
Many thanks for having us! We enjoyed watching BOOK CLUB sooo much, it should not be missed by avid movie goers which will guarantee you a genuine sincere fun time!
Catch BOOK CLUB at a theater nearest you today.