Samsung Smart Oven: cook the perfect Chicken Barbecue in 12 minutes
Last weekend we had the opportunity to try cooking with the Samsung Smart Oven, a hybrid kitchen device that combines microwave functionality with your traditional convection oven.
This makes it ideal for quickly cooking thick meat like chicken barbecue.
Microwave + Convection Oven = Samsung Smart Oven
How does it work? Think of it this way. Normally you use a microwave oven to heat your food but you can also use it cook, say, chicken meat.
Since microwave cooks food by agitating water molecules in food, the result is evenly-cooked, tender meat.
However since the outer layers do not get exposed to fire or heating plates, it will not get the same brownish outer layer that a convection oven or a turbo broiler would give.
Alternatively you can use a traditional oven, a turbo broiler, or a grill to cook your meat.
However, since the food is heated from the outside you risk burning the skin while attempting to cook the insides of the meat.
In addition, it is difficult to control heat distribution in convection ovens and traditional grills, so some areas may end up being burned while other areas remain under-cooked.
Being a 2-in-1 device, the Samsung Smart Oven is essentially a microwave oven with heating plates just like what you would find in a convection oven.
It comes with a MICROWAVE+GRILL function that activates both the microwave function and the heating plates, allowing you to perform both functions at the same time using a single device.
The result is perfectly cooked chicken barbecue that is both juicy on the inside but evenly browned on the outside.
How cool is that?
Chicken Barbecue Recipe
If you want to try cooking your own chicken barbecue, simply follow the full recipe below.
You can also play the video to watch a demonstration by Chef Ernest Gala of GalaStars Culinary School.
GalaStars Chicken Barbecue
- 1/4 of 1 Whole Chicken (cut up 1 whole chicken into 4) - make 2 deep diagonal slashes on each chicken part. Prepare one pre-soaked in water 30 minutes. 1 bamboo barbecue stick; 1 paper plate or microwave safe platter to put up barbecue.
- Rub chicken part with: (mix in a small bowl):
- 1/4 cup banana catsup
- 1 tbsp. each of Kechap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce or use local Soy Sauce with 1 Tbsp. Molasses) and crushed garlic
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Skewer chicken part in barbecue stick. Put on prepared plate skin side down.
- Set Samsung Smart Oven on MICROWAVE+GRILL function. Time 7 minutes. Press start.
- Invert chicken and set on MICROWAVE+GRILL function. Time 3 minutes.
- Press GRILL function. Time 2 minutes (to give brown top).
- Serve with vegetable corn muffin.
The Samsung Smart Oven retails for ~P14,999. Kain tayo!