MANILA, Philippines – Director Carl Joseph Papa’s touching animated drama film “Manang Biring,” the only animated entry in this year’s Cinema One Originals, was recognized as the Best Film at the 2015 Cinema One Originals awards night.
“Manang Biring” also won in two other categories namely Best Music and the Champion Bughaw Award.
Carl’s animated film revolves around Manang Biring, a terminally ill old lady diagnosed with stage four breast cancer who gets an unexpected letter from a dear loved one who wants to reunite with her for Christmas.
“I just entered ‘Manang Biring’ in Cinema One Originals because I wanted to fulfill our team’s dream to make a full-length animated film,” Carl said. He elaborated, “I am thankful to Cinema One Originals for giving us a chance to make our project. I hope our film will be screened in more cinemas in the Philippines.”
Meanwhile, director Ralston Jover’s “Hamog,” a story on the lives of four street children who suddenly get caught in a web of consecutive and unforeseen tragedies, reaped four recognitions including Best Editing, Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress, and the coveted Jury Award.
Young stars Therese Malvar and Bor Lentejas also captured the crowd’s attention at the awards night when they were hailed as the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor of the festival, outshining seasoned actors in their respective categories.
The two newcomers from “Hamog” were speechless. Therese, 15, who cried onstage as she accepted her second best actress award in her career, credited direk Ralston for her award-winning performance.
“My role in ‘Hamog’ is serious. I’m very thankful to direk Ralston for his help and mentorship for me to do well,” Therese shared. She added, “I did not expect this at all. I did not even prepare a good speech. I’m just thankful to my management, my parents, and to God.”
The awards night also paid tribute to Rox Lee, Joey Agbayani, Mike and Johnny Alcazaren, Nick Deocampo, and Raymond Red, the pillars of Philippine alternative cinema.
Cinema One Originals is an annual film festival that allows talented Filipino storytellers to showcase their stories through film for 11 years. It is a local independent film festival of Cinema One, one of the cable channels of Creative Programs, Inc., a subsidiary of ABS-CBN.
The following are the winners at the 2015 Cinema One Originals festival:
- Jury Prize winner: Hamog, Ralston Jover
- Best Film: Manang Biring, Carl Joseph Papa
- Best Actress: Therese Malvar, Hamog
- Best Actor: Dino Patrano, Baka Siguro Yata
- Best Supporting Actress: Chai Fonacier, Miss Bulalacao
- Best Supporting Actor: Bor Lentejas, Hamog
- Best Director: Dayang Asu, Bor Ocampo
- Best Screenplay: Miss Bulalacao, Ara Chawdhury
- Best Cinematography: Dayang Asu (Albert Banzon)
- Audience Choice: Baka Siguro Yata, Joel Ferrer
- Best Sound: Bukod Kang Pinagpala (Jess Carlos)
- Best Music: Manang Biring (Dinno Christopher Parafina)
- Best Editing: Hamog (Charliebebs Gohetia)
- Best Production Design: Bukod Kang Pinagpala (Harley Alcasid)
- Champion Bughaw Award: Manang Biring