MANILA, Philippines – HMD Global has announced the Nokia 8, the company’s first flagship Android smartphone since it acquired Nokia back in December 2016.
As a brand known for superior engineering, the Nokia 8 features a seamless unibody milled from a single block of 6000 series aluminum that has been refined through 40 stages of machining, anodizing, and polishing, resulting in a high gloss mirror finish that has taken 20 hours to complete.
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 will be powering the Nokia 8, which offers close-to-stock Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) experience with minimal customizations.
Both front and rear cameras feature a 13-Megapixel sensor with ZEISS optics. A secondary rear camera takes monochrome photos, just like the Huawei P10.
The Nokia 8 is the first smartphone that can simultaneously take photos and livestream videos using both front and rear cameras, a feature that Nokia calls the “bothie”.
Previously, apps like Frontback allowed users to combine photos taken separately by the front and rear camera, while custom software from manufacturers like Samsung, ASUS, and OPPO could also take photos using both cameras, but not videos.
Finally, the Nokia 8 is the first smartphone to feature Nokia OZO Audio, a spatial audio capture and playback technology that brings 3D audio to mobile devices.
Hit play to hear a demonstration of Nokia OZO Audio (headphones recommended):
Nokia 8 price and availability
Nokia 8 is priced globally at an average retail price of €599 or around Php 36,000 and will be available starting September. As of writing, Nokia not released any information on the expected retail price in the Philippines.
Nokia 8 technical specifications
- Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9mm (camera bump 0.4mm)
- Weight: 160g
- Screen: 5.3″ IPS LCD QHD (2560 x 1440) with Gorilla Glass 5
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Operating System: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Storage: 64GB ROM
- Expansion: MicroSD (up to 256 GB)
- Rear camera: 13MP (Colour + OIS) + 13MP (Mono), 1.12um, f/2.0, 76.9 degrees, PDFAF, IR, range finder, dual tone flash
- Front camera: 13MP PDAF, 1.12um, f/2.0, 78.4 degrees, display flash
- Connectivity and sensors: USB Type-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, NFC, fingerprint sensor
- Battery: 3090 mAh (Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0)